Things You May or May Not Find Interesting

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

iPod alternative in the works

I love my iPod, it's a 60GB one, so has video and all that. I can have it output to the TV at 720x320 resolution, or 640x360 (a maximum pixel output of 230,400) either way it gives near DVD quality output. However it would be cool to output at full DVD resolution, 720x576 for PAL and 720x480 for NTSC, and it is a bit inconvenient being confined to only MP4, MOV and M4V files, not to mention it takes up a lot of space on my hard drives (hundreds of GBs made up of just duplicate videos in different formats)

A relatively new company, Archos, has a great new device called Archos 604 which just might warrant a switch from iPod, for me anyway.
I know there's that new Microsoft one and all those other ones but none I've seen have made me think they have a shot at being better than the iPod. Except perhaps now.

It reads all normal video formats (MPEG-4, WMV, H.264, MPEG-2 and VOB/IFOs in full resolution and outputs to that. It also records TV directly, has a photo viewer and of course MP3 playing capability. It has a 4.3" screen with 16 million colours.

If rumours of a new touch-screen video iPod are true I would probably go for that, and it would be a squeeze to make do with only 30GB when I already use the full 60GB of my iPod, but this company is one to keep an eye on. If they increase capacity it would definitely have a good chance of pulling me away from the iPod line.

Check out an animation and specs here:
Archos website

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home